USB to Serial converter

ljpolt@...

Having just acquired a 796D, having little experience in trunk programming,  I need to install Uniden firmware and rebanding, and connect programming software. I have a Windows 7 64 bit laptop, USB connector only. I know there has been some earlier discussion on recommended converters. What is the prevailing thought as to currently available converter cables, chip and driver. Thank you.

Les Polt

Baltimore, MD

Mike Carden <mcarden11@...>

I use a belkin usb to serial works great

Mike Carden

"Bad decisions, Make great stories"

From: BC796D@... [mailto:BC796D@...] On Behalf Of ljpolt@...
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2013 1:35 PM
To: BC796D@...
Subject: [BC796D] USB to Serial converter

Having just acquired a 796D, having little experience in trunk programming,  I need to install Uniden firmware and rebanding, and connect programming software. I have a Windows 7 64 bit laptop, USB connector only. I know there has been some earlier discussion on recommended converters. What is the prevailing thought as to currently available converter cables, chip and driver. Thank you.

Les Polt

Baltimore, MD

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3629/6872 - Release Date: 11/27/13

Jim G

With WinXP SP3 32 bit, I have used both the Belkin F5U109 and the Tripp-Lite Keyspan USA-19HS without any problems at all.
I don't know any reason they wouldn't work just fine with Win 7 64 bit.

Jim G.
Georgia USA

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Thursday, November 28, 2013 3:55 PM
Subject: RE: [BC796D] USB to Serial converter

I use a belkin usb to serial works great

Mike Carden

Les Polt

Baltimore, MD

ljpolt@...

Thank you all for replies to my earlier posting. Had to install Tera Grand USB 2.0 to RS232 serial converter(uses FTDI chipset) on laptop operating Windows 7. Device was installed and shows as operating COM3. I think I downloaded BC_VUP v2.0.0.7 and BC796D V3 60 correctly into my C drive and unzipped them. However, I cannot install onto the Scanner. The desktop icon opens the BC VUP program, but when I select downloading the BC796, selecting port 3 and initiating installation, I get a communications error message, I follow the Uniden instructions on triple pressing the buttons when turning on the radio, and get a clear screen, but cannot seem to download the firmware updates to the radio. What am I missing?
Les Polt

Baltimore, MD

Les Polt

Baltimore, MD

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2014.0.4259 / Virus Database: 3629/6872 - Release Date: 11/27/13

Bob

He may be right.  I have also had problems.  My data slicer programs won't work with USB to serial either.