Program cable and P25 Phase I

hfdp2usa

Does anyone know if the 96 can do P25 Phase I and where I can get a cable to program my friends unit? Steve

Joe M.

Yes on P25 Phase I (Provided you have the card).

No idea on the cable.

Joe M.

On 5/16/2016 10:37 PM, hfdp2usa@netscape.net [BC296D] wrote:

Does anyone know if the 96 can do P25 Phase I and where I can get a
cable to program my friends unit? Steve

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>
Version: 2016.0.7539 / Virus Database: 4568/12246 - Release Date: 05/17/16

Bernard Skoch

A quick search on ebay turned up several programming cables.

-----Original Message-----
To: BC296D
Sent: Tue, May 17, 2016 1:36 am
Subject: [BC296D] Program cable and P25 Phase I

Does anyone know if the 96 can do P25 Phase I and where I can get a cable to program my friends unit? Steve

hfdp2usa

Ok I have the cable now and several adapters to go from DB9 to USB and having trouble either connecting or finding the right driver for the cable, any help would be appreciated. Steve

Chris Miller

Try this works great;  Win_Driver_Prolific_3_2_0_0 follow to the letter and bingo

Roxie2401

Joe,

I know this is a very old thread but I hope you still get messages on this group.

I have a BC296D and a SC200 and both units work for my purposes very well.  However, both use Serial cables.

Do you have a good Serial to USB adapter that you would recommend?  I've been looking at the TrendNet TU-S9 v2.  Do you know anything about it and does it use the Prolific chip set, etc. for these two scanners?

Thanks so much - your contributions to these forums is so valuable!

As an aside, is the Uniden BCD325P2 the "latest" and a replacement for the BCD396XT family?

Thanks,

Tom

Joe M.

Still here. I haven't purchased an adapter in a long time (even PCs I purchased this year have serial ports). But, I'm sure there are many who can help you here or maybe on the 396XT list (as the 396XT is serial, too).

Yes, the 325P2 is the newest, but I'm not sure if that is really the best replacement for a 396XT or if the BCD436HP is a more qualified replacement. The 325P2 is nearly the same plus P25 Phase II minus the color backlight while the 436 has many more features. I just over the weekend was thinking about how great the built-in recording feature is!

Joe M.

On 6/5/2017 5:47 PM, twensel@verizon.net [BC296D] wrote:

Joe,

I know this is a very old thread but I hope you still get messages on
this group.

I have a BC296D and a SC200 and both units work for my purposes very
well. However, both use Serial cables.

Do you have a good Serial to USB adapter that you would recommend? I've
been looking at the TrendNet TU-S9 v2. Do you know anything about it
and does it use the Prolific chip set, etc. for these two scanners?

As an aside, is the Uniden BCD325P2 the "latest" and a replacement for
the BCD396XT family?

Thanks,

Tom

Bernard Skoch

USB-serial adapters have for me been so hit and miss.

I've had best luck with those with the PROLIFIC chipset.  The one that's lasted the longest for me has a blue translucent shell and is branded "BAOYU" (which I suspect translates from Chinese as "this one works").

I find one on Amazon for $9.95 that looks identical, has the PROLIFIC chipset but sells under the brand name of "Sabrenet."

Good luck!

Bernie K5XS

On Jun 5, 2017, at 18:38, MCH mch@... [BC296D] <BC296D@...> wrote:

Still here. I haven't purchased an adapter in a long time (even PCs I
purchased this year have serial ports). But, I'm sure there are many who
can help you here or maybe on the 396XT list (as the 396XT is serial, too).

Yes, the 325P2 is the newest, but I'm not sure if that is really the
best replacement for a 396XT or if the BCD436HP is a more qualified
replacement. The 325P2 is nearly the same plus P25 Phase II minus the
color backlight while the 436 has many more features. I just over the
weekend was thinking about how great the built-in recording feature is!

Joe M.

On 6/5/2017 5:47 PM, twensel@... [BC296D] wrote:
>
>
> Joe,
>
> I know this is a very old thread but I hope you still get messages on
> this group.
>
> I have a BC296D and a SC200 and both units work for my purposes very
> well. However, both use Serial cables.
>
> Do you have a good Serial to USB adapter that you would recommend? I've
> been looking at the TrendNet TU-S9 v2. Do you know anything about it
> and does it use the Prolific chip set, etc. for these two scanners?
>
> Thanks so much - your contributions to these forums is so valuable!
>
> As an aside, is the Uniden BCD325P2 the "latest" and a replacement for
> the BCD396XT family?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tom
>
>

Randy Munro

Look at the Startech unit # ICUSB232V2 it works from XP to WIN 10. I bought this unit when my laptop wouldn’t work with my old adapter under Windows 10.

It works great and came with current drivers.

Randy

From: BC296D@yahoogroups.com [mailto:BC296D@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Monday, June 5, 2017 5:47 PM
To: BC296D@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [BC296D] Re: Program cable and P25 Phase I

Joe,

I know this is a very old thread but I hope you still get messages on this group.

I have a BC296D and a SC200 and both units work for my purposes very well. However, both use Serial cables.

Do you have a good Serial to USB adapter that you would recommend? I've been looking at the TrendNet TU-S9 v2. Do you know anything about it and does it use the Prolific chip set, etc. for these two scanners?

As an aside, is the Uniden BCD325P2 the "latest" and a replacement for the BCD396XT family?

Thanks,

Tom

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Joe Sly <jsly@...>

Hi all –

Re: Tom Wensel’s question regarding USB-to-Serial Adapters & Drivers. . .

I’ve had older Belkin F5U409 USB-to-Serial adapters for a VERY long time, dating back to Win XP.  (There’s a photo of the Belkin in the article I mention below.)  I’m now on a Windows 8 Toshiba laptop with an outboard Anker USB 3.0 hi-power 10-port USB hub, because I have so many gadgets & gizmos online.  The Belkins have worked fine, on anything to serial ports on many brands of scanners & HF/SW sets, to serial console ports on DEC/HP OpenVMS & Unix systems, console ports on Cisco routers, storage array controllers, you name it.

However, I did have a slight challenge upgrading the driver to get it working on the newer 64-bit Windows 8 laptop I had picked up at Costco years ago.  Thanks to an article posed by a gentleman named Benjamin Close, I was able to get it done.  (See his article at: http://www.clearchain.com/blog/posts/how-to-use-a-belkin-f5u409f5u409-cu-usb-to-pda-serial-converter-in-visawindows-7-64bit-mac-osx-10). 

Now, I have all my toys back online using the old Belkins I’ve had for probably a decade or more. I didn’t have to go out and buy a half-dozen new adapters.  (Please note: at the time I read Benjamin’s article many years ago, Belkin had no 64-bit Win 7 or 8 driver support.  It appears they do now, I just haven’t tested it. . . I’m still up & running just fine with the driver he ID’d in his article.)

- Joe Sly

Chandler, AZ

P.S. . . If anyone is interested in the Anker USB 3.0 hub I mentioned, I’ve had it at least 3 years now, and never had a single problem with it (with the exception of my own [lazy] cable management practices!)  Here’s some info on that nice little USB 3.0 (and 2.0) port expander:

·      Anker USB 3.0  9-Port Hub + 1-Port Intelligent Charging

·      Model No: 68ANHUB-B10A (BW-U3038A-1)

·      External Pwr Sup (incl) = DC 12v @ 5.0 Amps

·      Output: USB 3.0 x 9 Ports, + 1 Intelligent Charging Port  5.0v @ 2.1Amps

Amazon had it for about $60 years ago; that’s where I got mine.  Probably many more options today, but the Anker has been rock-solid for me.  (And no, I do not work for them, or hold any of their stock!)

_,___

Roxie2401

I probably should have included this is the original post - Prolific or FTDI Chip Set?

I'm using Windows 10 64bit on both a desktop and laptop.  Which chip set works best?  I see adapters using both types.

Thanks