Display Problems...

w6bts

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for the Display Contrast?

My most favored 796 has become increasingly unreadable, especially in
any bright light.

I'm not speaking about the backlight, I mean the segment contrast or
how dark the characters appear one the screen.

I contacted Uniden and a replacement is unavailable and tech support
would not offer me any suggestion other then to send it in for repair
while agreeing that might be a waste as there are very few parts
available for any repair.

So I suppose I'm looking for any information regarding adjustment or
I'm looking to purchase a known good display panel for replacement.

You are welcome to contact me off-site at W6BTS@...
<mailto:W6BTS@...>

Tks,

Dave

bigfella237

The 780's were shocking for their display contrast and there was a mod for replacing a resistor which helped a lot, not sure if the circuitry is the same with the 796 but if you have no alternative it might be worth looking into?

I'm sure a quick internet search would yield details for the 780 mod?

Andrew

--- In BC796D@..., "w6bts" <w6bts@...> wrote:

Hi All,

Does anyone know if there is an adjustment for the Display Contrast?

My most favored 796 has become increasingly unreadable, especially in
any bright light.

I'm not speaking about the backlight, I mean the segment contrast or
how dark the characters appear one the screen.

I contacted Uniden and a replacement is unavailable and tech support
would not offer me any suggestion other then to send it in for repair
while agreeing that might be a waste as there are very few parts
available for any repair.

So I suppose I'm looking for any information regarding adjustment or
I'm looking to purchase a known good display panel for replacement.

You are welcome to contact me off-site at W6BTS@...
<mailto:W6BTS@...>

Tks,

Dave

kb8uyz <kb8uyz@...>

Is there any other input for this problem? Or, W6BTS, did you resolve this issue? I leave my 796 on almost 24/7, and I'm starting to notice this issue. It sort of came on all of a sudden in the last day or so and the display is very hard to read now.

Thanks

Dan
kb8uyz@...

--- In BC796D@..., "w6bts" <w6bts@...> wrote:

[...]

No solution as of yet and no reply from Uniden after three attempts.

I've cleaned every connection and touched every solder point I can find with no change.

Guess I'll have to use the software link to display it on my laptop.

BoL,

Dave